Take Control of Bed Bugs:
Bedbugs throughout Dallas, Fort Worth, and Houston have been in the news recently due to their resurgence in homes and commercial businesses such as hotels and apartments. These small, flat, oval pests are numerous and hard to detect as they are able to hide in the smallest of cracks and are able to travel on a person from place to place spreading the infestation. Bedbugs do make their presence known through their bite marks. Learn more about bedbugs through our Pest Education Section. People vary in reaction to these bites and it is important to learn how to detect these bites. Characteristics of bedbug bites include:
After gathering information a Cantu professional will begin the inspection process to assess the extent of the bed bug problem. This inspection will take Cantu Pest professional to an array of different areas of your home and may require them to move and shift personal belongings such as:
- Stand up mattress and box spring and move them into different positions to access all bed bug hiding places including seams, piping, folds, straps and other attachments.
- Remove, either partially or completely, the gauze fabric on the underside of the box spring to allow for inspection inside.
- Remove the wood slats of the bed frame if so equipped.
- Lift the edge of carpeting nearest the bed and near other infested areas.
- If people sleep on rollaway beds, check the baseboards and lift the edge of carpets both where the beds are placed at night and where they are stored during the day.
- In some cases it may be necessary to remove gauze fabric on the underside of upholstered furniture to allow inspection inside.
- Remove drawers from furniture and turn furniture and equipment over to inspect underneath.
- Inspect behind pictures and wall hangings.
- Specialty beds may have to be inspected and treated as is; do not try to disassemble.
- Cantu does not limit the inspection to the bed. We extend the inspection throughout the bedroom, into the living room, family room, closets, and other non-sleeping areas in the apartment and other adjoining residences.
- Cantu will obtain authorization to inspect the room or units next door and directly above and below a unit that has been found to be infested.
- Wherever we see blood spotting, bed bugs may be present.
- Inspect common rooms such as lounges, waiting rooms, media rooms, recreation rooms…anywhere people sit together.
- Inspect laundry rooms, laundry carts, and storage areas.
Steps of a Cantu Pest Control Bed Bug Inspection
Our local Dallas, Fort Worth, and Houston inspectors and technicians also help our customers to understand the process and treatment requirements. When a Cantu Pest Control professional appears for a scheduled free inspection and estimate, they will begin their visit by gathering information such as:
- Confirm that the pest is a bed bug and determine the species.
- Review pest control records. (only applicable to current Cantu customers)
- Gather details on the locations of verified bed bug infestations, unverified complaints or reports of bed bug bites, past history of infestations, and other pertinent factors.
- Question residents and/or staff on the history of infestation and how bed bugs may have been introduced.
- In apartments and other residences, question residents to determine where people sleep and their nighttime activities.
- Look for trends and map out information on floor plans to better understand the extent of the bed bug problem.
* From 2009 by NPMA